It was in 1920, after recognizing a need for such an establishment, G.W. Jones founded Jones Funeral Home. The business located across the street from the Onslow County Court House made an immediate and positive impact on the community. Over the years, G.W.'s sons, Timmons, Talbert and Thompson, would join him in the family business. It was under their leadership that the business moved to its present location at the corner of Chaney Avenue and Bordeaux Street.
During the next 30 years population in the area increased tremendously. Subsequently, so did the services the funeral home provided. The need for more room was met by several additions and renovations. It was during this time that Timmon's son, Jerry, partnered with him to help meet these challenges. As a third generation funeral director, Jerry's responsibility has always been clear...serving families who turned to him for help. Now, his sons, Bert and Bart, have the same commitment.
A long-time goal was achieved in 1985 by building a funeral home in Swansboro. This was soon followed by the new facilities in Holly Ridge (1991) and Richlands (1994).
In 1994, responding again to the needs of the community, Jones Funeral Home installed a crematory. This was the first and remains the only crematory in Onslow County. In 1998, after much growth and exhausting every renovation possibility to the existing building, an entirely new, larger funeral home was completed in Jacksonville.
In the spring of 2005, the Joneses opened a new, modern funeral home in Swansboro. The new building will assist them in providing the best funeral services possible.